BASED ON POLICY NUMBER AND TITLE:
SBTCE POLICY 8-8-100 EXIT INTERVIEW
PURPOSE: To establish Trident Technical College’s (TTC) employee termination process.
Voluntary Termination. A TTC employee who, for personal or other reasons, wishes to terminate his/her employment, must submit, in writing, notice to the proper authority of his/her intent to resign. The proper authority must forward the letter to the Human Resources Office. While the employee should give as much notice as possible, to allow for proper replacement, TTC requires at least a two week notice.
Involuntary Termination. All TTC permanent employees are state employees and, as such, are subject to dismissal for a number of reasons. Among these reasons are: (1) unsatisfactory performance evaluation; (2) institutional contingencies such as curtailment or discontinuation of programs and departments, or other conditions requiring reduction of staff; (3) conduct seriously prejudicial to TTC and/or the South Carolina Technical Education System; (4) failure to perform the required duties or failure to perform these duties in an acceptable manner; (5) disclosing confidential information; (6) failure to maintain satisfactory or harmonious working relationships with employees or supervisors; and (7) breach of contract such as negligent class attendance and serious deviation from syllabus. The above reasons for termination are not all inclusive, but indicate representative causes that, with appropriate documentation, will support dismissals. NOTE: An involuntary termination requires additional documentation as determined by the Associate Vice President for Human Resources. Under no circumstances is a supervisor to discharge an employee without the approval of and guidance from both the Vice President for the employee's division and the Associate Vice President for Human Resources.
- Upon notification of a pending termination, Human Resources will send to the employee a termination package consisting of the following forms:
- Termination Questionnaire (T3-44) - Employee completes form and submits to Human Resources during exit interview.
- Employee Check-Out Sheet (T3-15) - Employee obtains signature of each appropriate authority and submits to Human Resources during exit interview.
- Monthly Time Sheet (T3-43) - Employee completes form and employee and supervisor sign form projecting attendance so leave accrual is appropriately calculated during exit interview.
- Leave Transfer Program Donation Request form (T3-90) - Employee completes form and submits to Human Resources during exit interview.
- The terminating employee must submit a Monthly Time Sheet showing all annual leave and sick leave taken during the month along with the Check-Out Sheet at the time of the exit interview in Human Resources. TTC requests terminating employees to submit the Termination Questionnaire at the time of the exit interview.
- After completing the necessary forms, the terminating employee must have an exit interview with the Human Resources Benefits Administrator and the Associate Vice President for Human Resources or designee on the final working day. The Benefits Administrator will answer any questions concerning the employee's termination of coverage. The Associate Vice President for Human Resources or designee will review the Termination Questionnaire with the employee.
- Terminating employees will receive their final paychecks on the next regular payroll date.
- If anyone other than the terminating employee will be picking up the final check, the terminating employee must present, in advance, the Payroll Manager or designee with a signed and dated statement authorizing the release of the check.