Regional employers are offering rising high school juniors, seniors and graduating seniors the opportunity to "learn and earn." Youth apprentices receive paid on-the-job training along with related classroom instruction at Trident Technical College. The costs associated with the youth apprenticeship college courses are covered by the program for students who are hired by participating companies.
THIS IS A TWO-YEAR PROGRAM AND APPLICANTS MUST BE ABLE TO COMMIT TO THE FULL TWO YEARS IF THEY ARE HIRED. THE YOUTH APPRENTICESHIP IS NOT AN ASSOCIATE DEGREE PROGRAM.
Thank you for your interest in the Charleston Regional Youth Apprenticeship Program. We are now accepting applications for this years hiring cycle. Please email Ellen.Kaufman@tridenttech.edu or Ashley.Creson@tridenttech.edu if you have any questions!
ACTIVE PATHWAYS FOR 2023:
- Automotive Mechanic (preference given to graduating seniors/must have valid SC driver's license)
- Pre-Nursing (May 1, 2023 application deadline *Must be available for CNA/PCT training that starts in June and runs through summer)
- Medical Office Assistant
- Culinary Arts
- Industrial Mechanics (preference given to graduating seniors)
- Machine Tool Technology (preference given to graduating seniors)
- HVAC (preference given to graduating seniors)
- Hotel Operations
- Supply Chain Analyst
- Welding Technician (Applications closed)
- Networking (1 opportunity)
- Engineering Assistant (2 opportunities)
- Mechanical CAD (1 opportunity)
- Security/Pre-Law Enforcement
Students who participate in and complete the two-year program will receive:
- Two years of paid employment and mentoring from an industry professional
- A high school diploma (if not already granted)
- One year of college credit from TTC free of charge
- National credentials from the U.S. Department of Labor
- Two years of work experience
- Marketable skills for life
Nail your youth apprenticeship employer interview with this helpful Interview Tips for Teens guide.
To be eligible for a two-year youth apprenticeship, a student must:
To start the process, students must complete and submit all sections of the Youth Apprenticeship Application Packet, including proof of qualifying scores on the ACCUPLACER Placement Test.
*Mechanical Aptitude Test may be required for manufacturing, HVAC and automotive apprenticeships.
*GRADUATING SENIORS MUST FILE FAFSA
- Be a rising junior, senior or graduating senior
- Must be able to get an early out if still in high school (We will work with school counselors to arrange this.)
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Achieve qualifying ACCUPLACER Placement Test scores*
- Be willing and able to commit to the full two years of the program
- Demonstrate academic readiness and responsibility
- Be legally able to work in the U.S.
For more information, email Ellen.Kaufman@tridenttech.edu or Ashley.Creson@tridenttech.edu.
Click here to watch the Youth Apprenticeship Information Session.
Youth Apprenticeship Success Stories
ACCUPLACER Test Score Requirements
Youth Apprenticeship Application - New Fillable PDFs
PLTW Youth Apprenticeship Application - New Fillable PDFs
Youth Apprenticeship Descriptions
For a list of youth apprenticeship occupational pathways, click here.