BASED ON POLICY NUMBER AND TITLE:
SBTCE 7-2-101: STUDENT FEE STRUCTURE
PURPOSE: Trident Technical College's tuition, fees, and residency policy complies with the South Carolina Code of Laws 59-112-10 et. seq.
- DETERMINATION OF RESIDENCY STATUS The residency category of an applicant is determined from residency information provided on the TTC Admissions Application. When conflicting documentation exists, the Admissions office will notify the applicant of the discrepancies and the residency status that has been assigned. Residency designations for the purposes of assessing tuition are identified as:
- IN-COUNTY STATUS Individuals who have established domicile in South Carolina and have demonstrated South Carolina residence in Berkeley, Charleston or Dorchester County continuously for a period of 12 months before making an application are considered eligible for in-county tuition rates. Additional documents may be required to prove residency status for in-county. Eligibility for in-county tuition rates also occurs when the applicant meets one of the following exceptions and provides appropriate documentation:
- Employed permanent full-time for 37½ hours or more per week in Berkeley, Charleston or Dorchester County, or is the dependent of someone employed full-time in Berkeley, Charleston or Dorchester County;
- Active duty military or a dependent stationed in Berkeley, Charleston or Dorchester County;
- Retired person maintaining residence and domicile in Berkeley, Charleston or Dorchester County.
- OUT-OF-COUNTY STATUS Individuals who have resided in Berkeley, Charleston or Dorchester County less than 12 months prior to making an application but have resided continuously in the state of South Carolina more than 12 months are charged out-of-county tuition rates.
- OUT-OF-STATE STATUS Individuals who have resided less than 12 months in the state of South Carolina prior to making an application are charged out-of-state tuition rates.
- APPEAL OF RESIDENCY STATUS Any applicant appealing a residency status has the burden of proof and should provide the Director of Admissions with all documentation to support the appeal. The Director will review all documentation concerning the claimed residency and will review state statutes to make a decision on residency status. Any further appeal by the applicant will be referred to the Dean of Enrollment Management whose decision is final.
- CHANGE IN RESIDENCY STATUS An out-of-county or out-of-state student becomes eligible for in-county tuition rates after establishing domicile in South Carolina and continuously residing in Berkeley, Charleston or Dorchester County for 12 months from the date of domicile, unless residency status changes based on one of the exceptions cited in the South Carolina Code of Laws. If a dependent or independent person has been domiciled and designated in-county for no less than three years, the person shall retain eligibility to pay in-county fees for at least 12 months following the loss of domicile.