BASED ON POLICY NUMBER AND TITLE:
SBTCE 3-2-105 GRADING SYSTEM AND STANDARDS OF STUDENT PROGRESS
PURPOSE: To outline the college's requirements for students to remain in good academic standing and continued matriculation through a program of study.
- Good Standing occurs when a student's current semester GPA is at least 2.000.
- Academic Warning occurs when a student's current semester GPA falls below 2.000.
- A student on Academic Warning will receive a letter explaining the college's Academic Warning policy and advising the student that a second consecutive term with a current term GPA below 2.000 will result in Academic Probation.
- Academic Probation occurs when a student's current semester GPA falls below 2.000 and the student's last academic standing was Academic Warning.
- A student on Academic Probation will receive a letter explaining the college's Academic Probation policy advising the student that a third consecutive semester with a current semester GPA below 2.000 as well as a cumulative GPA below 2.000 will result in Academic Suspension.
A student will remain on Academic Probation until:
- The student obtains a current semester GPA of at least 2.000;
- The student successfully completes a semester of solely remedial course enrollment; or
- The student is placed on Academic Suspension.
- Academic Suspension for one semester occurs after any three consecutive semesters of enrollment in which a student’s semester GPA falls below 2.000 and cumulative GPA is below 2.000. Consecutive semesters of enrollment are any three semesters in which the student is enrolled, even if there are semesters in between when the student is not enrolled.
- A student on Academic Suspension will receive a letter from the Registrar explaining the college's Academic Suspension policy.
- A student may appeal Academic Suspension by completing the online Academic Appeals in the student portal.
To obtain Dean's List status from the academic dean for a program of study, students must meet the following requirements:
- Declare a program major;
- Take a minimum course load of 12 credit hours for full-time Dean's List or a minimum course load of six credit hours to the part-time Dean's List;
- Earn a semester grade point average (GPA) of 3.50 or above;
- Receive no course grade lower than a "C" during the semester.
- A grade of D, F, W or I disqualifies a student from the Dean's List;
- A designation of Audit (AU) or Satisfactory Completion (SC) does not affect a student's inclusion on the Dean's List as long as the student's remaining course load meets or exceeds the minimum hours required to achieve Dean's List status.