S.C. CODE ANN. §§59-53-410 to -440 (1997)
The Chairperson is elected by the Commission. As the elected leader of the Commission, the Chairperson shall maintain the integrity of the Commission's process and represent the Commission to outside parties. The Chairperson is the only Commission member authorized to speak for the Commission (beyond simply reporting Commission decisions), other than in rare and specifically authorized instances. The Chairperson shall ensure that the Commission and individual Commission members act consistently with the Commission's own rules and policies and those legitimately imposed upon the Commission from outside the college. The Chairperson shall:
- Preside at Commission meetings in an efficient and effective manner and set the general tone for each meeting through positive leadership.
- Ensure that discussion at Commission meetings is limited to those issues that, according to Commission policy, belong to the Commission to decide, not the President.
- Ensure that deliberations are fair, open, and thorough, but also efficient, timely, orderly, and to the point.
- Strive to achieve consensus among members on Commission decisions by stimulating a thorough discussion of the issues.
The Chairperson shall have the following additional responsibilities:
- Ensure that other Commission members are informed of current and pending Commission issues and processes.
- Appoint members of committees established by the Commission.
- Ensure compliance with all required duties imposed by law, including, but not limited to:
- Communicating, personally or through a designee, with the public as required by law with respect to providing public notice of all meetings of the Commission.
- Signing all official documents and contracts on behalf of the college as required by applicable law or regulation or as authorized by the Commission.
- Executing all necessary legal documents in the name of the Commission for the recovery of damages, money, penalty, forfeiture or for other legal action.
The Chairperson is authorized to use any reasonable interpretation of the provisions in Governance Process and Commission-President Relationship policies in carrying out his/her role. The Chairperson is responsible for the Commission-President relationship, and shall communicate and interact with the President. However, since the President is responsible to the entire Commission, the Chairperson has no authority to unilaterally supervise or direct the President.
The Chairperson has no authority to make decisions regarding implementation of the Institutional Goals and Executive Parameters policies. Such implementation is reserved for the President.
Trident Technical College Area Commission approved Governance Process Policies on May 20, 1997 for adoption on January 1, 1998.