Apply Now
hamburger menu

6-1-2 Travel Authorization and Reimbursement

Table of Contents

  1. Introduction
  2. Area Commission
  3. Information Technology
  4. Plans and Analysis
  5. Marketing
  6. Financial Affairs

    6-1-1 Annual Report

    6-1-2 Travel Authorization & Reimbursement

    6-1-3 Petty Cash

    6-1-4 Student Travel, Authorization & Reimbursement

    6-2-1 Professional Development Program

    6-2-2 Memberships in Professional Organizations

    6-2-3 Tuition Assistance

    6-3-1 Funds, Receipt and Deposit

    6-5-1 Budget Transfers

    6-5-2 Federal Funds, Expenditure & Control Of

    6-6-1 Budget Administrator Responsibility

    6-6-2 Invoice Payment Process

    6-7-1 Funds, Investment of Surplus

    6-8-0 Refunds Policy

    6-8-1 Refunds

    6-9-1 Authorized Signatures/Bank Withdrawals

    6-12-1 Capital Plant Fund

    6-13-0 Educational Fee Waiver Policy

    6-13-1 Educational Fee Waiver

    6-14-0 Student Fees Policy

    6-14-1 Checks - Information Required, Returned Checks and Credit Card Chargebacks

    6-15-0 Expenditure of Auxiliary Income

    6-15-1 Expenditure of Auxiliary Income Procedure

    6-15-2 Employee Recognition, Official and Unofficial

    6-16-1 Internal Auditing Department

    6-17-1 Information Security Plan

    6-17-2 Information Security Data Breach Response Plan

    6-18-1 Red Flags Rule Identity Theft Prevention Plan

  7. Facilities Management
  8. Human Resources and Employee Relations
  9. Development
  10. Procurement and Inventory Control
  11. Auxiliary Enterprises and Printing Services
  12. Public Safety
  13. Academic Affairs
  14. Learning Resources
  15. Continuing Education and Economic Development
  16. Admissions and Registrar
  17. Student Services

NUMBER: 6-1-2 APPROVED DATE: 03-01-2001


PURPOSE: To provide procedures for approval and reimbursement of travel expenses for transportation, lodging, meals, registration fees, and miscellaneous expenses.

  1. GENERAL GUIDELINES: Employees traveling on official business for the College are expected to exercise the same care in incurring expenses and accomplishing an assignment that a prudent person would exercise if traveling on personal business. Excessive costs, circuitous routes, delays or luxury accommodations unnecessary or unjustified in the performance of an assignment are not considered acceptable as exercising prudence. Employees are expected to use the most economical mode of transportation, due consideration being given to urgency, schedules and like factors.

    LIMITATIONS: Use of State travel funds for Professional Development is limited to permanent full-time employees only. No reimbursement for Professional Development will be made to employees who change status from permanent to temporary or terminate employment between the time of approval of and completion of approved activity. Business travel is not limited; permanent full-time, and temporary or part-time employees may request reimbursement for travel required performing job-related responsibilities.
    1. Business Travel: Travel for the purpose of carrying out job-related responsibilities or conducting College business (for example, travel between campuses, meetings, site visits, College representative at state-called meetings, etc.). Business travel will be charged to the traveler's department account.  Business travel also includes travel expenses funded by a grant.
    2. Professional Development Travel: Travel for the purpose of participating in a professional development program as defined in TTC Procedure 6-2-1. Professional Development expenses will be charged to the Professional Development account of the approving Vice President or the President.
    3. Externally-Funded Travel (Other): Any type of travel as noted above (either business or professional development) which is paid by an outside organization.
    Travel at State expense will be authorized only when the planned activity meets institutional and individual needs as defined by the College.

    Travel expenses incurred by a secondary agency employee can only be reimbursed if prior written approval is secured from the employee's home agency. To insure proper reimbursement, a copy of the written approval from the employee's home agency must be attached to the Application for Travel/Professional Development Authorization (TTC Form No. T3-92).

    The traveler must complete an Application for Travel/Professional Development Authorization (TTC Form No. T3-92) and submit it in accordance with the guidelines that follow.
    1. Approval: The traveler must obtain the required approvals prior to departure or incurring expenses. The type and location of activity will determine whether prior approval is needed as outlined below.
      1. Business Travel
        1. Local: A Travel/Professional Development Authorization request is not required for business travel within the tri-county area. While formal approval is not required, the supervisor may require prior (verbal) approval.
        2. In-State: The requester must submit a Travel/Professional Development Authorization request to his/her supervisor and the appropriate Vice President or his/her designee for their approval.
        3. Out-Of-State: The requester must submit a Travel/Professional Development Authorization request to his/her supervisor and the appropriate Vice President or his/her designee, and the President for their approval.
      2. Professional Development Travel
        Prior approval of all Professional Development travel is required.
        1. Local and In-State: The requester must submit Travel/Professional Development Authorization requests to his/her supervisor and the appropriate Vice President or his/her designee for their approval.
        2. Out-Of-State: The requester must submit Travel/Professional Development Authorization requests to his/her supervisor and the appropriate Vice President or his/her designee, and the President for their approval.
      3. Externally Funded Travel (Other) Prior approval of all externally funded travel is required. Documentation for externally funded travel (approval and reimbursement) will be required in compliance with TTC procedures and State regulations. (For Ethics Act compliance, the Internal Auditor reviews all travel funded by outside sources.
    2. Documentation: The supervisor and/or Vice President should not consider a Travel/ Professional Development Authorization request for approval without proper documentation. Documentation includes: an activity agenda, program, meeting announcement, or an electronic mail message from the sponsoring organization, and a statement of justification for the activity. The supervisor and/or Vice President may not approve Travel/Professional Development Authorization requests lacking sufficient documentation until such documentation is provided.
    3. Time Allowances: Employees should allow sufficient time for the approval of Travel/ Professional Development requests. In all cases, approved Travel/Professional Development requests should reach Finance at least two weeks prior to the planned activity. If the employee has not allowed sufficient time to process expenses needing to be prepaid, and the request is approved, the employee may be required to pay for those expenses and be reimbursed upon completion of the activity.
    4. Estimated Expenses: Estimated expenses submitted on Travel/Professional Development Authorization requests should be in accordance with the guidelines below in Section IV.3., Expenses.
    1. General Guidelines: To receive reimbursement for travel expenses incurred, an employee must complete a Travel Reimbursement Form (TTC Form No.T3-89). Receipts required for reimbursement must be original, paid receipts. Expenses must be reported daily with departure and return/arrival times as appropriate. The employee must sign the Travel Reimbursement form and forward to the budget administrator for approval. If the budget administrator is also the requester, then the employee's supervisor is required to sign.

      Expenses claimed for reimbursement on the Travel Reimbursement form should correspond with estimated expenses as approved on the Travel/Professional Development Authorization request. The budget administrator reserves the right to refuse reimbursement for spending which exceeds the total estimated expenses or was not authorized. For example, if rental car costs were not estimated on the Travel/Professional Development request, but requested on the Travel Reimbursement form, the budget administrator could refuse the costs even if the total estimated cost is not exceeded. Further, any claim for reimbursement that exceeds 10 percent of the total approved amount requires written justification.

      If a state employee receives reimbursement from an agency or organization with which he/she is involved for travel expenses or services, travel reimbursement from the College is not allowed. If such an organization pays a part of the expenses, the employee should request reimbursement from the College, not to exceed State allowances.
    2. Time Limitations: All requests for reimbursement must be made within 30 days of completion of the activity. Requests received after thirty days require written justification explaining the delay.
    3. Expenses:
      1. Private Vehicle Mileage (55040 In-State/55140 Out-of-State/55240 Foreign): Employees using their personal automobile in traveling on official business for the State will be reimbursed at a rate per mile approved by the State. Personal automobile mileage will be reimbursed for the most direct, practical route. Any deviations, as determined by the official highway map mileage guide, should be explained on the reimbursement form. A separate daily entry should be made for vicinity mileage incurred while at an activity location.

        When more than one employee is traveling to the same location, the authorized number of automobiles should be limited to not more than one automobile per two people.

        Mileage incurred between the employee's residence and place of employment is considered commuting mileage and is not subject to reimbursement, including commuting on Saturday or Sunday.

        When an employee leaves directly from his/her residence and goes by another work-related location prior to arriving at campus, or reports for work at an off-campus location within the tri-county area, the employee is eligible for reimbursement of additional mileage incurred over and above the distance from home. However, when an employee leaves directly from his/her residence to go on a trip to a location outside the tri-county area and does not go by campus, the employee is eligible for reimbursement for actual mileage beginning at his/her residence. Exceptions are limited to federal grant programs.

        When an employee elects to drive out-of-state when air fare is more economical, the employee will be required to verify the cost of the round trip airfare (coach class) and will be entitled to reimbursement for:
        • Mileage equal to the amount of coach airfare.
        • Vicinity mileage incurred on official business in lieu of using a taxi.
        • Parking fees equal to that which would have been incurred if car had been parked at the airport.
        • Subsistence based on date and time airline connections would have been made for departure and return. Any period of time exceeding these guidelines would be at the employee's expense and no subsistence could be paid.
      2. Meals (55010 In-State/55110 Out-of-State/55210 Foreign): No receipts required. There is no meal allowance within the tri-county area. Outside the tri-county area, the total allowable is $25.00 per day for In-State travel locations and $32.00 per day for Out-Of-State travel locations, depending on the time schedule:
        Amount per Meal In-State Out-Of-State
        Breakfast $6.00 $7.00
        Lunch $7.00 $9.00
        Dinner $12.00 $16.00

        When determining meal reimbursement, the employee must exclude any meals provided at no charge or included in a registration fee with the exception of continental breakfast.

        The costs of meals will be reimbursed up to the maximum amount as provided for in the time schedule below. The time limitations will not apply for overnight trips when returning early in the morning.

        The time of departure and return, the starting point, and the destination must be stated on the Travel Reimbursement form. In determining the maximum amount of subsistence for meals that may be reimbursed, the following time schedule will be adhered to:
        If Departure Time is And if Return Time is Meal(s) Allowed
        1) Before 6:30 a.m. a. After 11:00 a.m.
        b. After 1:30 p.m...
        c. After 8:30 p.m..
        Breakfast & Lunch
        Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner
        2) 6:30 a.m. or later
        and before 11:00 a.m.
        a. After 1:30 p.m...
        b. After 8:30 p.m..
        Lunch & Dinner
        3) 11:00 a.m. or later
        and before 5:15 p.m...
        a. After 8:30 p.m... Dinner
        4) After 5:15 p.m... No subsistence for meals
        will be allowed.
      3. Lodging (55020 In-State/55120 Out-of-State/55220 Foreign): Actual hotel/motel costs will be reimbursed for a single room rate or one-half the cost of a double room rate if shared with another state employee.  Federal and state funded grants limit the maximum lodging expense to the amount allowed by the U.S. General Service Administration.  The employee is responsible for making hotel reservations and paying first night's room deposit, if required. If the employee is billed for the first night prior to the activity, he/she may request reimbursement and must provide a billing statement.

        An employee must submit an original paid lodging receipt. If a lodging receipt has an outstanding balance, the employee will be required to submit proof of payment (credit card receipt or canceled check). The employee's name must appear on the lodging receipt. Lodging costs must be recorded daily on the Travel Reimbursement form. The only charges applicable to be claimed with lodging are room charges, and state and occupancy taxes.

        An employe may also submit a Check Request for the lodging in order to obtain a check payable to the hotel.  Documentation showing the exact amount the hotel is charging (room rate and all applicable taxes) must be provided with the Check Request.  A final invoice showing a zero balance must be provided with the Travel Reimbursement form upon completion of the activity.

        No reimbursement or payment will be made for lodging within 50 miles of the traveler's official headquarters/residence.
      4. Air Transportation (55130 Out-Of-State/55230 Foreign): Air transportation expense will be reimbursed for coach class only. The employee is responsible for making airline reservations with the appropriate airline/travel agency. Reservations should not be confirmed until the employee receives notification that the travel authorization has been approved.  Air transportation expense includes service fees for checked bags. Receipts are required for reimbursement.

        If the employee is billed for the airline ticket prior to the activity, he/she may request reimbursement and must provide an original itinerary or billing statement. The employee's airline ticket receipt must accompany the Travel Reimbursement form upon completion of the activity.
      5. Other Transportation (55050 In-State/55150 Out-Of-State/55250 Foreign): Expenses for ground transportation (e.g., taxis, limousines, rental cars) should be reasonable for the location of the activity.

        Receipts are required for reimbursement of all forms of other transportation (e.g., taxis limousines, or rental cars).

        For rental cars, deductible insurance beyond that provided by the rental agency should be declined. Reimbursement will not be allowed for extra insurance.

        Employees may obtain a vehicle from the State-provided motor pool or contracted rental company by contacting the Finance Department staff.  In this case, the Finance Department staff will pay the rental company directly and charge the cost to the appropriate account.
      6. Miscellaneous Travel Expense (55060 In-State/55160 Out-of-State/55260 Foreign): Miscellaneous travel expenses include business telephone calls, personal telephone calls, Internet fees, and parking fees.

        Telephone calls made for official business of the State are fully reimbursable and must be noted as such on the Travel Reimbursement form. Further, the name of the person called or the purpose of the call should be supplied.

        When an employee is out of town overnight, a total maximum reimbursement of $3.00 times the number of travel days is provided for personal telephone calls. In order to receive reimbursement, the required documentation is either a telephone bill or an itemized charge on a lodging receipt.

        Parking fees are reimbursable, but do require a receipt.

        No reimbursement is allowed for gratuities or porterage.

        Registration Fees (55070 In-State/55170 Out-of-State/55270 Foreign): TTC will pay only those charges directly applicable to an activity registration fee. If other options are available (i.e., optional or spouse events, entertainment, etc.) and are listed separately from the registration fee, the employee may attach a personal check so that those fees are received by the organization at the same time as the registration fee. At certain conferences meals may be an option, depending on the agenda, committee meetings, etc. When allowable, these meals are deemed to be part of the registration fee. Employees must not seek reimbursement for special events, entertainment, or meals for spouses.

        Upon presentation of a paid original receipt, the employee will be reimbursed for the actual cost of the activity registration. A registration fee may be pre-paid if a completed registration form and a Check Request form (TTC Form No. T3-50) are attached to the Travel/Professional Development Authorization form. The requester shall supply on the Check Request form the federal identification number of the vendor. The Finance Department staff is authorized to use their Procurement Card for registration fees.

        If the registration fee includes an institutional membership fee, an Application for Participation in Professional Development Institutional Memberships (TTC Form No. T2-3) must be completed and approved.

Updated: 08-25-2010

Updated: 01-09-2013

Reviewed: 04-27-2018