Academic Fresh Starts provides forgiveness of all previously earned credits and resets your cumulative GPA. For an application to be approved for Academic Fresh Start, you must meet certain conditions.
- Academic Fresh Start is available only to a student upon re-entry (and after the Drop/Add period) to TTC. This does not affect work either taken at or transferred from another college.
- Academic Fresh Start is available only once in a student's academic career and only if a student has not previously been awarded a certificate, diploma or degree from TTC.
- At least three years must have lapsed between the end of the term in which the student was last in attendance and the term in which the student re-enrolls.
- The student must apply for Academic Fresh Start prior to his/her final term of enrollment at TTC.
- To be eligible for Academic Fresh Start, a student must have attempted at least 24 semester hours at TTC (36 quarter hours), exclusive of withdrawals, prior to re-enrollment. Additionally, the student’s cumulative GPA for the work attempted prior to re-enrollment at TTC must have been less than 2.0.
- The student must meet all requirements for admission to the college and be enrolled in a program of study.
- Academic Fresh Start, if granted, applies only to the coursework taken prior to the term of re-enrollment. Academic Fresh Start does not affect the grades earned in the first term of re-enrollment.
What happens if I qualify for Academic Fresh Start?
If the Academic Fresh Start application is approved, all previous academic work at TTC will be disregarded with respect to graduation requirements at TTC. The prior academic record will remain a part of the student's transcript, but is not carried forward as a part of a new program to which the student is admitted. The transcript will reflect no credits attempted and no credits and grade points earned. Subsequent college study will be entered in accordance with the current catalog.
Does Academic Fresh Start affect financial aid?
Granting of Academic Fresh Start will not affect or alter a student's access to financial aid or scholarships from any source unless specific governmental or agency laws or regulations prohibit such awards. A student who plans to receive any type of student aid, including veterans benefits, should discuss the impact of Academic Fresh Start on his or her financial resources with a TTC financial aid officer.
How do I apply for Academic Fresh Start?
- A student who wishes to apply for Academic Fresh Start first schedules a meeting with a representative from the Registrar's office, who determines whether or not the student is eligible. If the student does not meet one or more of the conditions of eligibility, the application is denied. The student may appeal within 10 days to the assistant vice president for Instruction, whose decision is final.
- If the student is eligible, the Registrar's office completes the top portion of the Academic Fresh Start application and verifies on the form that the student is eligible.
- The Registrar's office then provides the student with the name and phone number of the appropriate academic dean and informs the student that the next step in the process is for the student to schedule an appointment with the dean.
- The Registrar's office forwards the student’s Academic Fresh Start application and a copy of the student’s transcript to the dean.
- The student meets with the dean who explains to the student how Academic Fresh Start will affect the student’s transcript, grade point average and academic progress and career.
- If the student still wishes to request an Academic Fresh Start, he/she checks the appropriate box on the Academic Fresh Start application, signs it and dates it.
- The dean approves or denies the application and returns it to the Registrar's office, who informs the student and distributes copies of the completed form to the student and the appropriate personnel/offices.
- If the dean or registrar does not approve the application, the student may appeal within 10 days to the assistant vice president for Instruction, whose decision is final.
For questions about or to determine eligibility for Academic Fresh Start, email the Registrar's office at email@example.com.
Be sure to include your student ID so that your academic record can be reviewed.