Students must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to remain enrolled and/or eligible for financial aid. TTC measures academic and financial aid standards of progress independently of each other. This may result in a student having a different SAP status for academic than financial aid.
Before logging into the Student Appeal System, confirm which type of appeal to file – Academic Suspension or Financial Aid Ineligible (or both). Students on both Academic Suspension AND Financial Aid Ineligible must submit two separate appeals – one for Academic Suspension and one for Financial Aid Ineligible. It is possible to receive approval for one appeal type and not the other when appealing both Academic Suspension and Financial Aid Ineligible.
Definition of an Extenuating Circumstance
The definition of an extenuating circumstance for an appeal is a sudden, uncontrollable event that adversely affected your academic performance. Examples include serious illness, death in the family, family emergency, financial or personal catastrophe, natural disaster, divorce, victim of serious crime, military orders and mandated work schedule changes.
Issues that do not meet the definition of an extenuating circumstance include lack of transportation, roommate problems, incompatibility with faculty, difficult course load, dislike of a course or textbook concerns.
- Academic Suspension is the only academic standing that requires an appeal.
- At the end of each semester after the college posts all grades, check your student portal email account at my.tridenttech.edu for a message from the Registrar’s office about your academic standing.
- Your academic status depends on both your semester and cumulative GPA.
Financial Aid Appeal
- Appeal if your financial aid status is Ineligible.
- At the end of each semester after the college posts grades, check your student portal email account at my.tridenttech.edu for an email from Financial Aid about your financial aid eligibility status.
- Other ways to check your financial aid SAP status:
Login to my.tridentech.edu>Financial aid Status by Semester
Login to my.tridenttech.edu>My Financial Aid
Login to my.tridenttech.edu>My SAP Manager
- If your financial aid status is Ineligible, you have the option to appeal unless you have received three denials from the TTC Appeals Committee since Fall 2016.
- Follow all steps below for a financial aid appeal:
1. Prepare the two-part appeal statement BEFORE logging into the online appeal system to save time. There is a 1,000-character limit for each part.
Part One: Explain what happened:
What prevented making satisfactory progress?
Part Two: Explain what has changed:
How are the circumstances now resolved?
2. Financial aid appeals include completing an Academic Plan in the appeal system to confirm your ability to make satisfactory progress.
- If Ineligible due to maximum hours, the Academic Plan must include all semesters needed to graduate.
- If ineligible due to GPA and/or Pass rate, the Academic Plan must include all semesters needed to return to Satisfactory standing.
3. Submit qualifying documentation that verifies an extenuating circumstance existed during unsuccessful semesters.
- A personal statement from a relative or the student or a copy of your appeal statement is NOT qualifying documentation.
Documentation Requirements for Academic and Financial Aid Appeals
- Relate to the semesters when you did not meet SAP standards.
- Match the timeframe of the semesters of unsatisfactory SAP progress.
- Be qualifying documentation from a third party. Examples of qualifying, third-party documentation are from a doctor, employer, military, etc. that sufficiently describes and identifies dates on the organization's official letterhead.
- Confirm resolution of the circumstances that prevented success.
DO NOT INCLUDE PHOTOGRAPHS OR LENGTHY MEDICAL RECORDS.
A letter from the third party is much more effective.
Examples of appropriate documentation:
- Hospital/medical records (not billing statements)
- Letter from doctor on office letterhead
- Complete court documents
- Police reports
- Funeral bulletins/obituaries/death certificate (only if your name appears in the document)
- Letter from employer on company letterhead (if a mandated work change)
Always write your name and student ID number in the right-hand, top corner of documentation to avoid inability to match a file to an appeal!
You will upload your documentation when you complete your appeal. DO NOT BEGIN YOUR APPEAL UNTIL YOU HAVE A COPY OF YOUR QUALIFYING DOCUMENTATION SAVED ON YOUR COMPUTER OR JUMP DRIVE TO UPLOAD.
- After you submit your online appeal, you will receive a confirmation email in your student portal email account.
- IMPORTANT: If you do not receive a confirmation email within 24 hours, then you timed out of the appeal system and must log back in to complete and submit your appeal.