Skip to main content

Disability Services

The Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) office serves students with documented learning, physical, health or psychiatric disabilities by providing services and academic accommodations. In addition to serving students, SSD staff assists the Trident Technical College community in making programs, services and activities accessible to everyone.

Registering for Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD)

To qualify for appropriate accommodations, students must identify themselves to the college and provide documentation of a disability from a professional qualified to assess the presence of that disability. A student may register with SSD on a voluntary, confidential basis at any time. The college is not responsible for providing accommodations for students who have not registered and requested accommodation.

Registering is a two-step process:

  1. Securely upload your verifying medical documentation:
  2. Schedule an Intake with a Disability Counselor to determine accommodations:

During the Intake your needs will be discussed, reasonable accommodations will be determined, and you will receive information regarding procedures for using them.


  • Reasonable accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis while integrating the individual's experience with the impact of the disability and the essential elements of a program, course or activity.
  • Accommodations are not intended to reduce academic requirements, fundamentally alter the curriculum, compromise critical course objectives or essential functions.
  • Accommodations are not retroactive. They are valid beginning on the day the instructor receives the Faculty Notification Letter from SSD.
  • Faculty Notifications Letters are valid for the term and course. Students must request accommodation each term they are enrolled.
  • Last-minute student requests for accommodations that need advance planning time may pose barriers to the provision of accommodations for a particular test/exam or course assignment.

A list of common accommodations and their application can be found on the Accommodations Glossary page.

Note: The glossary does not include all possible accommodations. Each accommodation is approved on a case-by-case basis.


Faculty Notification Letters are Necessary . . . Every Term

Faculty Notification Letters are generated by your request each term that you need them. To have your accommodations sent to your instructors each term that you are enrolled in classes, contact the SSD Office prior to the term that you are seeking them.

You may request your accommodations be sent any time after registering for classes.


Forms and Handbook
Sample Faculty Notification Letter
Documentation for Accommodations Request Form
TTC Handbook for Students with Disabilities

Local Resources
Goodwill Industries
Trident Literacy
Trident One Stop
South Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation
South Carolina Commission for the Blind

National Resources
LD Online
Health Resource Center at The National Youth Transitions Center - George Washington University
JAN: Job Accommodation Network
National Institute of Mental Health: National Institutes of Health
University of Washington: The Student Lounge
Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD)
US Dept. of Education, Office of Civil Rights
DO-IT, University of Washington

Schedule an Appointment

General Inquiries



Thornley Campus
Bldg. 410/Rm. 210
8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Fax: 843-574-6812
TTY: 843-574-6351

Palmer Campus
Student Success Center/Rm. 226
8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Fax: 843-720-5704

Berkeley Campus
Student Success Center/Rm. 111
8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Fax: 843-899-8084

Mount Pleasant Campus
Please call for assistance.
Fax: 843-958-5811

Dorchester Campus
Please call for assistance.