What is the Charleston Regional Adult Apprenticeship program?
Trident Technical College, in collaboration with regional employers in a variety of industries, are offering students the opportunity to get paid to learn as apprentices. Students hired as apprentices receive paid on-the-job training along with in-the-classroom instruction at TTC. All tuition and other costs are covered by employer partners and/or regional workforce development agencies.
Who can become an aspiring apprentice?
It is the policy of Trident Technical College that no discrimination on the grounds of race, color, disability, religion, gender sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, gender identity, pregnancy or national or ethnic origin will exist in any area of the college. For all apprenticeship programs, employer partners interview aspiring apprentices and make final selections for employment and participation.
What are my responsibilities as an apprentice?
- Attend and successfully complete all scheduled college courses
- Commit to the program for its full duration
- Work the required work hours while receiving on-the-job training
- Demonstrate progress on the job
What are the minimum qualifications?
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a high school graduate or have a GED
- Be legally able to work in the United States
- Complete Placement Test and achieve minimum scores for program of study
- Complete Apprenticeship Application Form
- Sign Release of Information form
How much do I earn as an apprentice?
Wages vary for each industry and are discussed between student and employer if opportunity is offered to aspiring apprentice.
What careers can I train for in the Charleston Regional Adult Apprenticeship program?
Currently training is available as an apprentice in these certificate programs:
- Air Conditioning and Heating
- CAD Technician
- Criminal Justice
- Culinary Arts
- Engineering Technician
- Hotel Operations
- Industrial Mechanic
- Machine Operator
- Nail Technician
- Small Business/Entrepreneurship
Can I apply for the Charleston Regional Adult Apprenticeship program before I turn 18 years old?
Individuals under the age of 18 are eligible for TTC’s Youth Apprenticeship program. For more information, contact the TTC High School Programs Office at 843.574.6990.
How do employers see my application for each apprenticeship opportunity?
When received, Trident Technical College’s Division of Apprenticeship Programs office will send completed applications to industry-specific partners throughout the year.
Does Trident Technical College or employer partners decide who receives paid apprenticeship opportunities?
Employer partners make all final decisions on who is hired into apprenticeship opportunities.
How do I become more competitive for paid apprenticeship opportunities?
- Enroll in apprenticeship program-specific courses as companies like TTC students who are interested in the occupations they need.
- Complete FAFSA and indicate all financial aid you have been awarded. TTC invoices companies after all financial aid has been applied. Any financial aid will reduce training costs for employer.
- Submit a current resume with recommendations when submitting your Apprenticeship Application.
Once hired, can an apprentice be terminated?
Employer partners can terminate employment for any apprentice who violates company policies or requirements of apprenticeship.
What do I achieve at the end of the apprenticeship opportunity?
Upon completion of the program an apprentice achieves the following:
- Trident Technical College certificate in field from which all credits are transferable to an associate degree if you continue education at TTC after apprenticeship
- United State Department of Labor Journey-Level certificate that is nationally recognized in the chosen trade
- Work experience in chosen field
Am I guaranteed employment at the end of the apprenticeship opportunity?
There is no guarantee for employment at any time throughout an apprenticeship. However, successful completion of apprenticeship will provide you with national credentials and marketable skills that are in high demand for the Charleston region.
Am I guaranteed employment if I enter the Charleston Regional Adult Apprenticeship program?
Trident Technical College cannot guarantee employment and/or placement. Employer apprenticeship partners make all final decisions for which aspiring apprentices are hired to receive on-the-job training/mentoring.
How can I benefit by becoming an apprentice?
- Earn a living wage plus benefits while in college
- Receive paid on-the-job training with a mentor
- Work experience in chosen field
- Earn credit towards an associate degree
- Earn a transferable journey-level certificate
How do I get started?
Trident Technical College
Division of Apprenticeship Programs