Apply Now
hamburger menu

Frequently Asked Questions

The AA program attracts many different types of students, especially those who want to take courses to transfer to four-year colleges and universities to major in such areas as business, education, humanities, social sciences, communications, and fine arts. Other students enroll in the AA program for enrichment; there is a broad selection of courses in the liberal arts. Others need an associate degree for job advancement, and they choose the AA program because it suits their interests.

What types of students enroll in the Associate in Science program?

The AS program attracts many different types of students, especially those who want to take courses to transfer to four-year colleges and universities to major in such areas as engineering, computer science, mathematics, life sciences or physical sciences, and health-related fields. Other students enroll in the AS program for enrichment; there is a broad selection of courses in the liberal arts and sciences. Others need an associate degree for job advancement, and they choose the AS program because it suits their interests.

Who will be my advisor?

AA students are assigned to advisors based on their goals: whether they plan to transfer, where they plan to transfer, and what they intend to major in at the four-year institution. You will be assigned to your advisor after you contact Orientation Services.

Will all my courses transfer to any other college?

Most of the courses in the AA and AS programs transfer to most other colleges in the country because TTC is a regionally accredited college. If you are transferring to another public college in South Carolina, a useful tool to see what will transfer from TTC can be found at Regardless of where you plan to transfer, it is important that you consult the catalog of that college in addition to one of our AA or AS advisors so that you can be sure that you select the best transfer courses.

What is the difference between the Associate in Arts and the Associate in Science?

Both degrees are designed to meet requirements for the first two years of a baccalaureate degree, but they are suited to different transfer goals. Students planning to pursue a four-year degree in mathematics, science, engineering, or a medical field should enroll in the AS program because that program requires more math and science and less humanities and social science than the AA program.

If I am an artist, should I take courses towards an AA degree?

If you want to pursue a career in art, TTC offers two paths to that career. Choose the AA program if your career will require a four-year degree in fine arts. If you want a two-year degree in graphic or commercial arts, TTC offers associate degrees in these programs as well. However, these are terminal degrees, and the courses for those degrees may not transfer to four-year institutions. For more information about types of art degrees offered at TTC, visit Visual Arts.

I only want to get some transfer credit. Why should I complete the AA or AS degree before I transfer?

By completing the AA or AS degree before you transfer, you improve your opportunities for both employment and acceptance by other institutions. If you are ready to transfer before you complete the AA or AS degree, you may still be eligible to receive the degree by transferring credits back to TTC after you have transferred. Talk to your program advisor for the AA and AS degree for more details.

Can I complete the whole degree at Palmer Campus?

Yes. Palmer Campus is somewhat smaller than Main, so there may be fewer choices, but with careful selection and good advising, you can complete an AA degree at Palmer.

Can I complete the whole degree at Berkeley Campus?

Just as with Palmer, this smaller campus may have fewer course selections, but many relevant courses required to complete the AA degree are offered.

What is Distance (Online) Learning?

TTC offers courses in multimedia formats designed to make college classes available to individuals who may not be able to attend traditionally scheduled classes.

Can I use credit that I took in high school?

If you took AP or IB courses and have the qualifying scores on the examinations, you will have college credit that you can use toward your AA degree. For more information on AP or IB courses, click here. Also, college courses taught at your high school will most likely be acceptable as credit toward your AA degree.

Can I use my dual credit at TTC?

Please click here for information on Dual Credit.

What grade point average do I need to have to transfer to a four-year college?

The answer to that question varies depending on the four-year college and your intended major. In general, course credit will not transfer unless the grade is C or better. Most colleges are looking for an even higher than C average. You should consult an advisor or the catalog at your chosen four-year college to find out what will be required for transfer admission.

How do I know which courses to choose?

Taking the wrong courses could lead to extra time and money. TTC will provide you with an advisor who will help you select the right courses for the four-year institution. However, it is also helpful for the student to take the responsibility to have a catalog for and a contact at the institution to which he or she plans to transfer.

How long does it take to complete the AA degree?

Generally, it takes 60 semester credit hours to complete the AA degree. How long it takes depends on how many of those 60 hours are taken each term.  A full-time load is 12 hours per semester. Some students prefer to take more than that during a semester. Sample timelines to complete the degree in two academic years are below.

SAMPLE A Fall Spring Summer
1st Year 12 hours 12 hours 6 hours
2nd Year 12 hours 12 hours 6 hours
SAMPLE B Fall Spring Summer
1st Year 15 hours 15 hours
2nd Year 15 hours 15 hours

What if I haven’t decided which four-year college I’m going to transfer to?

The sooner you select your four-year college, the better. TTC advisors can help you select courses that are likely to transfer and count toward degree requirements at most colleges. However, as long as your plans are uncertain, there is a risk that you will take courses at TTC that will not transfer.

If I go to TTC for two years, will I automatically get an AA degree?

Not necessarily. Once again, working with an advisor can solve problems early so they won’t come back and haunt you later. The AA  degree has clear requirements which MUST be met. If courses are missing, no matter how long you attend, you will not receive your degree.

If I get an AA  degree, will I automatically be a junior when I transfer?

If you have not selected your courses with the requirements of the four-year college in mind, you may not be eligible to qualify for junior-level status. That is why it is so important to work closely with an advisor and stay in touch with appropriate people at your chosen four-year college.

When should I select the school I want to transfer to?

As soon as possible, preferably before you take your first course at TTC.

When should I apply to the four-year college?

This depends on the college that you are transferring to. Contact the Admissions office at that college as soon as possible and request application materials and information about deadlines. Most colleges have application deadlines posted on their website. Your advisor at TTC can help you sort through this information if needed.

I didn't take college prep courses in high school. Will I be prepared for college-level science courses?

Be sure to talk to your advisor about the availability of "bridge" courses that are designed to give students additional preparation (if needed) for the rigor of college-level science courses.