What characteristics and skills do I need to work in this field?
Jobs in film production require a number of important qualities including:
- Creativity – Camera operators and editors should be able to imagine what the finished product will look like to an audience.
- Attention to detail – Editors must analyze every frame that is shot to decide which shots to keep and which to discard.
- Hand-eye coordination – Camera operators must be able to maneuver around the action while holding the camera steady.
- Technical ability – Camera operators and editors must know how to use highly sophisticated cameras and editing equipment.
- Visual skills – Camera operators must have excellent vision since the ability to see in fine detail is crucial to being a successful camera operator.
Where can I work?
Film professionals often go wherever work is available. In some cases, they may have to leave the local area and sometimes even the state to find ongoing work. Fortunately, over the last few years, a number of projects have been available in South Carolina which have provided steady work to many local film professionals and TTC students and graduates. Of course, Los Angeles and New York continue to be the historic hubs for film production work in the United States.
What does Trident Technical College offer?
Trident Technical College is one of the few two-year colleges in the country training students in a professional quality production facility on professional grade film production equipment. In addition, our faculty members are highly qualified filmmakers who have worked professionally in the film industry and were selected to become TTC faculty members because of their industry experience and because of their outstanding ability to teach. Our combination of impressive facilities, extensive production equipment inventory and outstanding faculty members place TTC in the ranks with some of the best film programs anywhere.