Skip to main content

High School FAQs

1. What is the difference between the Dual Credit and Early Admit programs?

Dual Credit and Early Admit are very similar programs. Both programs give high school students the chance to take college classes while still in high school; however, students in the Dual Credit program will simultaneously receive college credit and high school credit for the course they take at TTC, while Early Admit students will only receive college credit and these courses will not directly affect their high school record.

2. Who is eligible for the Dual Credit/Early Admit programs?

Dual credit opportunities are usually limited to high school juniors and seniors. However, we can make exceptions for freshman and sophomore students at the request of the high school or home school association. For these younger students, documentation of their exceptional ability to undertake college-level coursework must be provided by the school and retained in their college file.

The Early Admit program is limited to high school juniors and seniors.

3. How much does it cost?

College tuition is charged by credit hour. Please review the Tuition and Fees chart or contact the Division of School and Community Initiatives if you have questions regarding the cost of your classes.

4. Am I eligible for financial aid?

Students are not eligible for traditional financial aid (Pell Grant, LIFE scholarship, etc.) until after they have graduated from high school or earned a GED. However, the college offers two types of assistance to high school students who participate in dual enrollment programs.

SC Lottery Tuition Assistance is awarded to students have lived in SC for 12 consecutive months and are enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours in the same semester. SCLTA currently covers nearly half of the total tuition cost for students. Students/parents do not need to submit FAFSA paperwork or related documents to apply for SC Lottery Assistance for the period they are enrolled in high school.

Need-based scholarships are available to students who qualify for free or reduced lunch programs at their high school. Verification of a student’s free or reduced lunch status must be provided by the high school guidance counselor or school administrator. Homeschooled students who wish to apply for need-based scholarships should contact the Office of High School Programs.

5. Who pays for textbooks?

Unless otherwise directed by their high school, students are responsible for the cost of textbooks.

6. Where and when may courses be taken?

Students can take classes at their high school campus, if the high school offers TTC courses for dual credit. Students should consult with their high school to find out how to enroll in these courses.

Students can also take classes at any TTC campus or online. Courses can be taken in the Fall, Spring and/or Summer semesters.

7. What courses can I take?

Students may take most courses at TTC for which they meet prerequisite requirements and for which they have received permission from their high school or home school association.

8. How many credit hours may I take per semester?

Students can take a maximum of 11 credit hours per 7-week term, and a total of 18 credit hours in a full semester.

9. Do I have to take a standardized test?

Yes, to qualify for dual credit/early admit, students must meet the same requirements for enrollment into an individual course as other college students. Enrollment into most entry-level courses requires proof of academic readiness as indicated on the SAT, ACT or TTC Placement Test.

10. Will dual enrollment courses transfer to other colleges and universities?

Most general education and many applied technical or professional courses transfer to colleges and universities across the nation. The receiving four-year college determines transferability of credits. When selecting courses, students should consult four-year institutions to which they may transfer because requirements vary from college to college and from major to major. Students planning to attend a four-year institution in SC are encouraged to use the transfer equivalency website or visit our University Transfer page for more information.