Nursing Program Entrance Exams
The National League for Nursing (NLN) Pre-Admission Exam (PAX) is a national standardized examination that tests a prospective PN or RN student’s background in math, science and English. Achieving a minimal score at the 60th composite percentile is one of the three possible admission options for the Nursing program.
Registering to take the PAX Exam
Students interested in taking the PAX Exam must:
- Be accepted to TTC prior to registering to take the exam.
- Register online at National League for Nursing (NLN) to test at TTC. Under "Resources," refer to "Student Guide to NLN Testing Portal" to learn how to create an account and register. Then, create a login username and password for your account. Record this information and put it somewhere safe as you will need to use it on the day of testing.
- The total testing fee is $45. The NLN $39 exam fee is paid online at the time of registration. Additionally, a TTC service fee of $6 is required and payable at the TTC Business office. Please bring the receipt when coming to test. Registration for testing is currently available.
Important Information for PAX Exam
- Testing dates at TTC are available on the NLN website. Students can also take the PAX Exam at any official NLN location in the United States. Be prepared to possibly pay a service fee for testing.
- TTC’s testing dates for the PAX are available on a first-come, first-served basis and are reserved for students applying to TTC’s Nursing program.
- Students must have a username and password along with a paid TTC service fee receipt in order to test.
- Students must have a valid photo ID (driver's license, TTC student ID, passport, government-issued ID) and an additional form of ID (Social Security card, birth certificate, voter's registration card, library card) in order to test.
- The test is computerized and lasts approximately two hours.
- Scores are valid for two years from date of testing.
- Students may re-test on the next available testing date.
- To prepare for the test, students may purchase the most recent study guide, which is available from publishers Jones & Bartlett.
Examinees with disabilities requiring reasonable accommodations must contact TTC’s Services for Students with Disabilities at 843.574.6131 for assistance with ADA testing accommodations through National League for Nursing. For those requesting accommodations, please be aware that this process can take up to two weeks. Please do not schedule PAX testing until accommodations are in place.
The Nursing division develops credit-by-exams for selected Nursing courses. If interested in taking a credit-by-exam, contact Nursing to see if you are eligible for testing.
- Obtain a Credit by Examination form from Nursing, Registrar's office or Main Campus Testing Services.
- Get the form signed by the appropriate Nursing instructor and the dean of Nursing.
- Take the form to the Business office for processing and pay the $45 testing fee.
- Bring the processed form and your Business office receipt of payment to Testing Services when testing.
Scheduling an Appointment
Nursing credit-by-examinations are administered by appointment only Monday through Friday.
For more information or to schedule a test, contact Suzy Chandler at 843.574.6684 or firstname.lastname@example.org.