Home » Student Resources » Support and Help » Military Programs » Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents Assistance (DEA)

Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents Assistance (DEA)

Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents Assistance (DEA)

  • To qualify you must be the son, daughter or spouse of a
    • A veteran who entered service for the first time between Jan. 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985
    • A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
    • A veteran who died from any cause while such permanent and total service-connected disability was in existence
    • A service member missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force
    • A service member forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power
    • A service member who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service-connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective Dec. 23, 2006.
  • Dependents' Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits.
  • A direct link to the VA website concerning Chapter 35 can be found here: Chapter 35 DEA
  • For more information, please click here.

How to Apply

  1. Complete the VA Application at the VA website at VONAPP.
  2. Submit a VA application and/or Certificate of Eligibility to the TTC VA office.
  3. Submit a copy of your birth certificate or marriage certificate if a spouse.

NOTE: You may also be eligible for the South Carolina Governor's Waiver. The Governor's office must mail the waiver to you. Click here for more information.

VA Rate Schedule