During the summer, rising sophomores, juniors and seniors attend Discovery Summer, which over the span of six weeks offers opportunities for research challenges, advanced classes, shadowing, college and career planning sessions, as well as college exploration through tours, and cultural and academic enrichment field trips both locally and out of state.
- Classes include science, math, a foreign language, one elective and English, with counseling sessions as an added feature.
- Shadowing opportunities include working alongside a professional in a career field in which students have indicated an interest.
- College tours conducted in the past include Tulane and Xavier Campus in New Orleans, LA; University of Houston; Texas Southern University; Paine College in Augusta, GA; Howard University; Georgia Tech; Morehouse College; Pennsylvania State; USC-Aiken, USC-Columbia; The Citadel; Columbia University; College of Charleston; and Florida State University.
- Past overnight field trips have included Washington, DC; Orlando, FL; New York; Philadelphia; and Atlanta. We have visited such attractions as the Smithsonian Institute; Independence Hall; various science museums; Martin Luther King Memorial; The Ben Franklin Institute of Science; SciTrek Museum; The Holocaust Museum; The Home of Frederick Douglas; the site of the World Trade Center; and the American Museum of Natural History. We have seen Broadway productions such as Rent, Phantom of the Opera, Shear Madness and Aida.
- Each trip entails having fun, of course, but participants are required to complete projects based on their experiences. The summer component ends with a recognition banquet attended by Trident Technical College officials, UBMSC staff, students, alumni and parents.