The rules pertaining to the South Carolina LIFE Scholarship program currently state that in order for students to qualify for the scholarship under the current and/or renewal requirements, they must meet certain criteria. Students may view additional eligibility and renewal requirements on the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education website.
Additional criteria and information to reference for SC LIFE qualifications include:
- Enrollment in at least 12 college-level (non-developmental/bridge) credits each semester to meet the full-time enrollment requirement. A student must complete a 30 annual credit hour requirement to qualify for renewal. NOTE: If you withdraw from classes after the final Drop/Add date, you will still receive the SC LIFE scholarship. However, you will need to attend the summer semester to make up the credit hours for renewal.
- Students may only be considered for the SC LIFE Scholarship for two years from the date of initial college enrollment when working toward a two-year degree.
- Students who are SC LIFE Scholarship recipients are not eligible to receive SC Lottery Tuition Assistance, except during the remediation period.
- Students with disabilities may be approved to take a reduced course load (instead of 12 credit hours) to meet the full-time enrollment requirement and the 30 annual credit hour requirement. The approval must come from Counseling and Career Development Services prior to the last day of the Drop/Add period. Please contact TTC's Counseling Services office for more information.
- Minimum cumulative SC LIFE GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. NOTE: Your TTC GPA may not be the same as your SC LIFE GPA. TTC's Academic Fresh Start and GPA policy do not apply to your SC LIFE Scholarship GPA eligibility. TTC's grading policy allows students to repeat a course in order to earn a higher TTC GPA. TTC uses the highest grade for the course to calculate your TTC GPA. The SC LIFE GPA policy calculates all college-level grades from every college you attended in the grade point average.
- Annual credit hour requirement: minimum of 30 earned non-developmental/bridge credit hours after the first year of college. Developmental and bridge credit hours a student completes prior to the beginning of Fall Semester do not count toward earned hours.
- Students whose initial college enrollment begins Spring Semester (i.e. January) have renewal requirements of 15 credit hours and a 3.0 SC LIFE GPA prior to the beginning of Fall Semester, and must earn 30 credit hours per year thereafter.
- If the student fails to earn the 3.0 SC LIFE GPA or complete the required number of credit hours during the fall and/or spring semesters, the student may attend Summer Semester to compensate for the deficit. The SC LIFE Scholarship will not cover expenses for Summer Semester and the student cannot receive lottery tuition assistance.
SC LIFE Scholarship recipients transferring from another college must:
- Complete a SC Scholarship Transcript form so TTC can contact your previous institution.
- Submit your official final college transcript from your previous institution(s).
Students who earned a 3.0 or higher high school GPA but are enrolled in at least three developmental/bridge credits (listed below) and less than 12 non-developmental/bridge credits qualify to have their SC LIFE Scholarship waived for the remediation period.
- During the period of remediation, the student can receive lottery tuition assistance if enrolled in at least six credits.
- A student has only two terms of remediation.
- Any college-level credits earned during this time will not go toward the student's annual credit hour requirement.
- Once the student's remediation period is over and the student enrolls in at least 12 college-level credits in the immediate fall semester, the student can begin receiving the SC LIFE Scholarship based on high school requirements. See full details at http://www.che.sc.gov/.
Students who are ineligible beginning with the fall semester cannot be eligible for the scholarship again until the following fall semester. All other eligibility requirements must have been met.
Exception: Students who met the high school GPA requirement but not the minimum enrolled 12 credit hour requirements in the fall can receive SC LIFE in the spring semester. However, students must meet the minimum 12 college-level credit hour enrollment requirement.