Annual Notice to Students
In compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), Trident Technical College will not disclose educational records concerning its students except for directory information and as otherwise stated below. FERPA protects the privacy of education records, and establishes the right of students to inspect and to review their education records. Directory information is considered to be the student’s name, address, telephone listing, email address, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student. This information will be released to anyone who requests it unless the student specifies in writing to the Registrar’s office that his or her directory information is to be withheld. In such case, no directory information will be released. Directory information may also be released for College publications, commencement announcements, press releases and advertisements.
Trident Technical College will release a student’s educational record without his or her approval under the following circumstances:
- To Trident Technical College officials who have legitimate interest in the records
- To administrators of secondary schools in which the student is currently enrolled or previously graduated from as it related to local, state and federal mandates
- To authorized officials at another institution of higher learning in which the student seeks to enroll
- To be in compliance with a court order or lawfully issued subpoena, but only after the eligible student has been duly notified.
- In clearly defined emergency situations affecting the health and safety of the student or other individuals.
- Family members or guardians of dependent students may access their dependent student’s records by submitting a request and providing appropriate documentation to verify the dependent status of the student to the Registrar’s office.
The Faculty of Trident Technical College reserve the right to release class specific information regardless of whether or not the student has given permission to the individual or entity requesting such information.
The college periodically updates student addresses for future contact purposes. Students wishing to restrict publication of their student directory information or opt out of address updates must notify the Registrar’s office in writing.
Questions concerning the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act may be referred to the Registrar’s office.
Students have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the college to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:
Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Ave. SW
Washington, DC 20202-5920