PURPOSE: To provide a definition of consumable books and periodicals and to establish a procedure for the procurement and disposal of consumable books and periodicals.
- DEFINITION OF CONSUMABLE BOOKS AND PERIODICALS:
(1) Books and periodicals that will be marked, written in, or cut up by an individual periodicals user,
(2) workbooks that are filled in by the user, and
(3) items that have a limited shelf life.
- ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM THIS PROCEDURE:
(1) All other books and periodicals that do not fit the above description. These must be purchased through the Learning Resources Center using TTC Procedure 14-2-3, "Materials Acquisitions."
(2) Digital Resources, i.e., video and audio tapes, compact discs, etc. These must be purchased using TTC Procedure 14-0-1, "Digital Software Acquisition."
(3) Any books, periodicals, and audio-visual materials funded by mini-grants, or Federal, state, or other grant funds.
The user must determine the appropriate method of purchasing consumable books or periodicals within the college's procurement procedures, using either the bookstore (Procedure 11-0-1, "Bookstore, Official Purchases"), petty cash (Procedure 6-1-3, "Petty Cash"), check request, or procurement (Procedure 10-2-3, "Purchase Requisition, Order Processing"). The user reports items received to ensure prompt release of payment, reporting and return of materials received in damaged condition, and maintaining documentation for future audits.
- OBJECT CODE:
Object code assigned to "Instructional Materials," must be used for all purchases under this procedure.
- DISPOSAL OF ITEMS:
Users should send all consumable items no longer needed to facilities management for recycling.