Academic Programs > University Transfer > Transfer Tips
Transfer Tips

If you have plans to transfer to a four-college or university, you will need to learn how to select the best courses to fit your plan. These suggestions should help you get started.

  • Identify Your Goal
  • Find Out General Education Requirements
  • Use Articulation Lists
  • Look Up Transfer Policies
  • Identify Your Goal

    Which College?
    Most students at TTC can find transferable courses that will match the general education requirements at most four-year colleges, but you need to know which college you will be transferring to if you are going to make every credit count. Your chosen four-year college will determine which history courses you should take, how much foreign language, which math courses, how many hours of lab science, and a number of
    other decisions.

    Which Major?
    Even at a single university, the requirements for freshmen and sophomores can be different for different majors.  For example, a business major usually takes different math courses than an engineering major; a psychology major takes different social sciences than an accounting major. If you are undecided which major you will pursue, you can usually find a list of general education requirements to pick from, but the choices within that list may be determined by major.  

    Back to top

    Find Out General Education Requirements
    Use a catalog from the university you have selected to find out what distribution of hours that college requires. This information is usually under a heading of "General Education requirements," "Core Curriculum," or "Graduation Requirements."  This list will not include the courses in your intended major, just the college's requirements in humanities, mathematics, English, social science, lab science, etc.

    Then check the section of the catalog that describes requirements for your intended major.  There you will probably find more information about which courses are best to take in your first two years. For example, if the general education requirement calls for six hours of social science, the section on the accounting major will tell you that those six hours should be in economics.    

    Back to top

    Use Articulation Lists
    If you are transferring to an in-state college, you will probably be able to find a list of courses that transfer from the technical colleges in South Carolina on the college's website or at  Be careful when using transfer lists: just because a course transfers does not mean that it is the appropriate course for you to take. You do not want to transfer and then find out that you have not met any requirements but instead have only elective credit. These lists are to help you find which courses at TTC correspond to courses or other credit categories at the four-year college, not to be used without knowing the general education requirements.

    If you are transferring out-of-state, you will need to use a catalog from the four-year college and find out from that school which courses they will accept from TTC.  Because TTC is an accredited college, most transfer-level courses will be accepted, but you should make sure.     

    Back to top

    Look Up Transfer Policies
    Every college has policies on admissions and transfer of credit that you should learn about as soon as possible.  Using a catalog or transfer brochure from the four-year college, you should be able to find the answers to the following questions:

    What GPA do you need at Trident?
    Sometimes the GPA required for transfer to a college is different than the GPA required for admission to a particular program at that college. Sometimes the four-year college will calculate GPA in a different way than Trident does. Find out if the GPA on your Trident transcript is the same as the one the four-year college will be using for admissions. (Some schools average in every attempt at a course; others only average together certain courses.)

    What grades do you need for a course to transfer?
    Most colleges require a C or better to give transfer credit for a course.

    How many hours do you need to take before you can be admitted as a transfer student?
    You can transfer credit to most colleges even if you have only taken one course, but you will have to meet freshman admissions standards. Most colleges will waive some freshman admissions standards if you have earned a minimum number of transferable hours, usually 30.  Find out how the number of hours you take at Trident will affect your admissions requirements.

    Is there a maximum number of hours that you can transfer?
    Most college catalogs specify a maximum number of hours that will transfer from a two-year college.


    Trident Technical College, Copyright 2011