National League for Nursing (NLN) Pre-Admission Exam (PAX)
The National League for Nursing (NLN) Pre-Admission Exam (PAX) is a nationally standardized examination that tests a prospective PN or RN student’s background in math, science and English. Achieving a minimal score at the 60th percentile is one of the three possible admission options for the nursing program. Students interested in applying for the Practical Nursing program may take the PAX-PN. Students interested in applying for the Associate Degree Nursing program may take the PAX-RN.
Registering to take the PAX-RN or PAX-PN
Students interested in taking the PAX-RN or PAX-PN must:
- Be accepted to TTC prior to registering to take the PAX-PN or PAX-RN.
- Register on-line at National League for Nursing (NLN) to test at TTC. Then click under “Registration Store.” Scroll down to Pre-Admission Exam (PAX). Then select “Register.” Read this page and then click on “Register Now.” Create a Login ID and Password for your account. Record this information and put it somewhere safe as you may need to refer to it at a later date.
- The testing fee is $40 and must be paid online at the time of registration. Registration for testing is currently available.
Information about the PAX-RN and PAX-PN
- Testing dates at TTC are available on the NLN website. Students can also take either exam (PAX-RN or PAX-PN) at any official NLN location in the United States. Be prepared to pay the testing fee plus a fee to have scores sent to TTC.
- TTC’s testing dates for the PAX are available on a first come, first serve basis and are reserved for students applying to TTC’s Nursing Program.
- Students must have a printed exam confirmation to test.
- Students must also have a valid photo ID (e.g., driver’s license, TTC student ID, passport, government-issued ID) and an additional form of ID (e.g., Social Security card, birth certificate, voter’s registration card, library card) in order to test.
- The test lasts three (3) hours and is on the computer.
- Scores are valid for two (2) years from date of testing.
- Students may re-test every six (6) months.
- To prepare for the test, students may purchase the most recent study guide, which is available at National League for Nursing (NLN).
Examinees with disabilities requiring reasonable accommodations must contact TTC’s Office of Counseling and Career Development Services, Services for Students with Disabilities at (843) 574-6131 for assistance with ADA testing accommodations through National League for Nursing.
Those requesting accommodations please be aware that this process can take up to 2 weeks. Please do not schedule PAX testing until accommodations are in place.