The following resources are available in the Trident Technical College’s Library System to assist in the courses for Hospitality, Tourism, and Culinary Arts.
To access articles found in scholarly journals and trade magazines, use the following suggested online databases:
- Ebsco Research Databases Ebsco Research Databases provide several databases to meet your research needs. This database also gives valuable information on company profiles.
- InfoTrac Newsstand This database provides access to full-text articles, book reviews, newspaper articles, brochures, pamphlets, etc. With daily updates, this database will be current news items on various topics.
HARDCOPY/PRINT FORMAT JOURNALS
The library also subscribes to a number of journals in hardcopy/print format. These are located in the library of at least one of the three campuses (Berkley, Main, Palmer). Journals are for library use only, however each library has photocopy machines available.
When using the Internet keep in mind that ANYONE can put ANYTHING on the Internet. When doing research using the Internet be as specific as possible, if not you may receive thousands of web sites to review. Whatever search engine you use, most times you will find some type of Advanced Search option. Using Advanced Searching features will allow searching by exact phrases or terms, perhaps by currency, domain, etc. Be as specific as possible.
Titles can be found using the library’s Online Catalog. Different titles are found at the three campuses. Any title found in the catalog can be sent to any of the three TTC libraries; whichever is most convenient. These titles are books in hardcopy/print format. Several titles on the list are also available through TTC’s eBook Collection . The entire book can be read online.
The following links provide newspapers on the local, state, and national level.
- http://www.charleston.net/- The Post Courier Online. This site will have the current day’s paper, and it includes sections on Arts & Travel and Foods. Archives are not updated daily. Use TTC’s online databases (Infotrac Custom Newspapers) if current updates needed.
- http://www.thestate.com/- The State newspaper from Columbia, SC. Also available through TTC’s online databases.
- http://www.sciway.net/- Covers information about events, travel, and tourism in South Carolina.
- Other Websites
There are numerous websites on the topics covered in Culinary and Hospitality. The ones listed above are just samples.
Culinary Arts Scholarships