Permanent Residents (Green Card Holders)

All permanent residents (Green Card holders) will be considered as International students for admission and records purposes.

What is an immigrant?
An immigrant is a foreign national who has been granted the privilege of living and working permanently in the United States. You must go through a multi-step process to become an immigrant. In most cases, USCIS must first approve an immigrant petition for you, usually filed by an employer or relative. Then, an immigrant visa number must be available to you, even if you are already in the United States. After that, if you are already in the United States, you may apply to adjust to permanent resident status (If you are outside the United States, you will be notified to go to the local U.S. consulate to complete the processing for an immigrant visa.) For more information, go to the USCIS website.

Permanent Resident Card
The Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, is issued to all Permanent Residents as evidence of alien registration and their permanent status in the U.S. The card must be in your possession at all times. This requirement means that you are not only required to have a currently valid Form I-551 at all times, but also that you must carry your currently valid Form I-551 on your person at all times. The Permanent Resident Card currently is issued with a 10-year validity. Your status as a Permanent Resident does not expire with the 10-year validity. Only the card expires. The card is only valid up to the expiration date and must be renewed before it expires.

A Conditional Permanent Resident is issued a card valid for two years. In order to remain a Permanent Resident, the Conditional Permanent Resident must file a petition to remove the condition during the 90 days before the card expires. The conditional card cannot be renewed. The condition must be removed or you lose your permanent resident status. (See Form I-751 and Form I-829 on the USCIS website.)

The Permanent Resident Card (either unconditioned or conditioned) can be used to prove employment eligibility in the US when completing the Form I-9 for a new employer. It can also be used to apply for a Social Security Card and a state issued driver's license. The card is valid for readmission to the United States if the trip was not greater than one year in length. If a trip will last longer than one year, a reentry permit is needed.

Admission Requirements for Permanent Residents

  • Completed Application and $30 nonrefundable application fee
  • Copy of your Permanent Resident card (front and back), must be submitted with application If your PR status is still pending, you have received an extension or you are renewing/replacing your PR card, submit any documentation or notice from USCIS showing your status
  • Qualifying test scores for TTC's Placement Test or qualifying SAT or ACT scores If you have taken equivalent English and Math courses at another US college or have earned a bachelor's degree or higher at a U.S. institution, you may be allowed to exempt all or part of the Placement Test if transcripts are provided. A degree earned abroad does not waive the Placement Test.
  • Documentation of the equivalent of high school graduation / secondary education completion If your high school diploma was issued by your high school in English and clearly states that you have graduated or passed, we may accept it. Otherwise we will require an evaluation report.

All other general Admission requirements for the College apply.

Refugee and Asylum status
Refugees are individuals who have been displaced by war, famine, and civil and political unrest. Asylum is a form of protection granted to individuals in the United States who have been persecuted or fear they will be persecuted on account of their race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.

Applicants that have refugee or asylum status and can show proper documentation will be accepted under out-of-state residency classification until DHS grants permanent resident status. The admissions requirements are the same as for permanent residents.

English as Second Language (ESL)
International students that are interested in taking English as Second Language (ESL) courses should contact Ms. Laurann Wespy at (843) 574-6319 or to set up an appointment and learn more about TTC's ESL classes.

Admission Requirements for ESL students

  • Completed Application and $30 nonrefundable application fee
  • Copy of passport, visa, I-94 card (front and back) and any documentation or notice from Immigration regarding your visa status, must be submitted with application
  • Test scores for the ESL Placement Test

Important Information
If your Permanent Resident card does not have any expiration date, then you have a very old version and you have to apply to renew it.

The Office of International Admissions monitors the expiration date of your Permanent Resident card. One semester before the expiration date on your Permanent Resident card a hold will be placed on your student account, which will prevent you from registering for or withdrawing from classes. Therefore, know when your card will expire and renew it on time. Contact the International Admissions Coordinator at (843) 574-6325 or if you have a hold on your account and provide documentation about your status.

When you apply for U.S. citizenship and you become a U.S. citizen, please submit a copy of your Certificate of Naturalization. Your student file will then be removed from the Office of International Admissions and any hold will be removed.

In most cases, if your Permanent Resident status is still pending, you do not qualify for in-state tuition and fees. Being a Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States, does not automatically make you a resident of South Carolina for tuition and fee purposes. For more information see the Residency website.

When to notify the International Admissions Coordinator:

  • To report a change of address and/or phone number
  • To report a name change or receipt of a Social Security Number
  • Before changing your major or program of study
  • To report a change in enrollment status
  • When becoming a U.S. citizen
  • If you have a hold on your account