1. Complete the FAFSA.
  2. Select an ELIGIBLE program of study at Trident Technical College. Program eligbility for federal financial aid is listed for each TTC program at http://www.tridenttech.edu/financialaid_31131.htm.

TTC's Financial Aid office will let you know what federal financial aid you can receive after receiving your FAFSA information. Be sure to also check out information about available financial aid from the state of South Carolina Financial Aid and Scholarship sections.  

One of the main reasons students complete the FAFSA is to find out if they qualify for the Pell Grant. The Pell Grant provides up to $5,645 for the 2012/13 school year. Remember, your financial aid awards depend upon your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and the number of course credits ou are enrolled in for the semester. Many students may be eligible for a full Pell Grant but many students receive a portion of the Pell Grant. For more information about EFC, go to  http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/help/fftoc01g.htm.

  • Complete the FAFSA at FAFSA.gov.
  • If you earned a bachelor's degree, you are ineligible for a Pell Grant.
  • Pell Grant pays based on the number of credit hours you enroll. 
  • All students are limited to 12 semesters (or 600%) of Pell Grant eligibility during their lifetime.

The FSEOG Grant is for the neediest students who have done the FAFSA the earliest.

  • Complete a FAFSA at FAFSA.gov.
  • Student must first be Pell Grant eligible to receive an FSEOG Grant.
  • The FSEOG grant pays based on the number of credit hours enrolled.
  • This grant has limited funds. That is why it is important to do the FAFSA early.
  • Students enrolled full-time typically receive $650 a semester.
  • There is no form to fill out other than the FAFSA.

Sometimes grants and state awards are not enough to cover expenses for education. In this case, students may consider student loans. Unlike grant funds, students MUST repay student loan funds. There are two types of student loans. A student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from the FAFSA determines what type of loan funds a student can receive.

  • Subsidized student loan is a loan that the federal government covers the interest that builds up on the loan while you are in college.
  • Unsubsidized student loan is a loan that you are responsible for paying the interest that builds up on the loan when you graduate.

To set up a student loan, follow the steps below:

  • Anyone applying for a student loan for the first time must complete both Loan Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note at studentloans.gov.
  • Once enrolled at TTC, a student must complete Student Loan Borrower Information at mytridenttech.edu.
  • Students who did not request a student loan on the FAFSA must complete a Federal Student Loan Request on mytridenttech.edu.

Confused? Check out the instructional videos on this page.

A Parent PLUS loan is a non-need based loan that parents can apply for if the financial aid is not enough to cover education related-expenses for a dependent student.

The Federal Work Study Program provides part-time employment opportunities to offset education expenses.

  • Complete a FAFSA at FAFSA.gov.
  • Student must be Pell Grant eligible and have remaining need.
  • Student must have requested work-study on the FAFSA.
  • If eligible for Work-Study, contact Student Employment Services.
  • FWS jobs are on a first-come, first served basis.