Coding for Health Care Professionals
This online coding program is for health care professionals looking to add to their skill set and move into a coding career. Nurses, health care administrators, paramedics and other professionals that have health care knowledge, experience and education can move into this training program and become very marketable. The coding field is growing faster than average due to mandatory electronic health records, health information management changes, and the new Affordable Health Act.
This program provides the training needed to take the national Certified Professional Coder (CPC) exam through the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC), or the Certified Coding Associate (CCA) certification exam through the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for registration, or for information call 843.574.6152.
Books are available at the College Bookstore on Main Campus, Bldg 950, or you may call 843.574.6120. Click on the Con Ed Textbooks link in the gray panel on the left of this page. Be sure to have your course code and number ready. The Bookstore will ship books to you if you are not in the Charleston area.
Online access instructions:
1. After 2 p.m. on the day the course begins, go to https://cecourses.tridenttech.edu/.
2. Click on log in for continuing education students.
3. Follow the directions.
Curriculum for Coding for Health Care Professionals (If you wish to attempt to test out of Medical Terminology contact email@example.com The test cost is $69.)
Courses must be taken in this order: You may take the first 3 classes at once, then one class at a time.
- Introduction to Online Learning (one-week course)
- Medical Terminology for Health Care Professionals
- Health Care Data Content
- ICD-9 Coding
- ICD-10CM/PCS Coding
- CPT Part I Coding
- CPT Part II Coding
- Practicum for Health Care Professionals
It takes self discipline and commitment to study online. In deciding if an online program is right for you, consider the following:
• Can you establish regular study habits daily?
• Can you play an active role in your education?
• Can you work independently on problems?
• Can you learn a great deal with an instructor via email or Skype?
• Do you enjoy reading and participating in online discussions?