|DESIGNATED SMOKING AREAS
|S.C. Code Ann. §§ 44-95-10 to 50|
PURPOSE: To inform the college community and the visiting public of TTC's procedure concerning smoking at all college facilities.
TTC is committed to promoting a safe and healthy working and learning environment for students, faculty, staff, and visitors on all TTC campuses and sites. Therefore, TTC implements the following procedure concerning smoking.
1. The use of tobacco is prohibited by students, staff, faculty, or visitors:
- Inside and at the entrance of all campus buildings, classrooms, and facilities owned or used by TTC. Smokers shall be expected to smoke in designated areas only and shall discard their cigarettes in tobacco urns. Other tobacco products such as smokeless tobacco, spit tobacco, or snuff shall be disposed of in the proper trash receptacles. Tobacco use shall be allowed in personal vehicles as long as no tobacco litter is left on campus.
- At lectures, conferences, meeting, and social/cultural events held inside campus buildings or facilities.
- In all college state vehicles.
- For the purpose of this procedure, tobacco is defined as any type of tobacco product including, but not limited to: cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, pipes, hookahs, smokeless or spit tobacco or snuff. This procedure also includes electronic-cigarettes of any type and any device that emits smoke or vapors or results in second hand smoke or vapors.
2. The sale or free distribution of tobacco products, including merchandise, on campus or at school events is prohibited.
3. Student organizations are prohibited from accepting money or gifts from tobacco companies, including:
- Parties sponsored by tobacco companies or allowing tobacco companies to distribute free, reduced-price, or fully-priced tobacco products (t-shirts, hats, etc.) on campus.
- All tobacco advertising, such as billboards and signs owned and used by TTC.
4. Tobacco advertisements are prohibited in college-run publications and on grounds or facilities, including athletic facilities, owned or used by TTC.
DESIGNATED SMOKING AREAS
Faculty, staff, and students who wish to smoke may do so outside where ash urns exist.
Gazebos have also been designated smoking areas to provide shelter from rain. Smokers
must properly dispose of cigarette/cigar remains in ash urns.
Smoking is prohibited at the entrances to all College buildings.
Smoking is prohibited in state vehicles.
Stop-smoking classes and seminars will be planned and implemented, as resources permit, to assist faculty, staff, and students interested in ceasing to smoke. Student Activities is responsible for developing such programs for students upon request.
The College adheres to State Board for Technical and Comprehensive Education Procedure 8-2-104.1 regarding break periods for employees.
MONITORING NO SMOKING REGULATIONS
Public Safety will advise individuals who are not in compliance with the College's no smoking procedure of the outdoor smoking areas. College employees also may take the initiative to inform individuals of the outdoor policy.
Employees and students with concerns should follow the appropriate College grievance procedure. Any disruptions related to the smoking regulations should be reported immediately to Public Safety when students are involved, and to the supervisor when employees are involved. If student disruptions warrant further investigation, Public Safety will report these disruptions to the Vice President for Student Services for possible disciplinary action.
In addition, South Carolina's Clean Indoor Air Act of 1990 cites violation of the act as a misdemeanor that, upon conviction, results in a fine of not less than $10 nor more than $25 (plus court costs). The issuance of a fine is at the discretion of the Public Safety office.
Updated June 22, 2009
Updated December 12, 2011
Updated January 13 2014