BASED ON POLICY NUMBER AND TITLE
| 2-18-0 VISION STATEMENT, MISSION STATEMENT, INSTITUTIONAL VALUES, INSTITUTIONAL GOALS AND OBJECTIVES — GOAL 7 FINANCIAL RESOURCES |
PURPOSE: This procedure defines the purpose and functions of Trident Technical College's Development Department.
The Development Department, which is part of the Advancement Division, is committed to obtaining external funding to improve the quality of instruction, student services, facilities, equipment, staff development and programs in order to assist the College in meeting its mission and goals. Utilizing a grant planning process designed to support the College’s strategic goals, objectives and identified needs, the Development Department seeks to be responsive to emerging opportunities while driven overall by thoughtful planning.
The Development Department is responsible for the procurement of external funds and the general oversight of these programs for Trident Technical College. The Development Department is the focal point for grant activities within the institution, regardless of source. All notices of external funding opportunities, award letters, rejection notices, reports and correspondence with the funding agency should be forwarded to the Development Department immediately upon receipt. The Development Department staff will disseminate this information as required throughout the institution.
STRATEGIC GRANT PLANNING PROCESS
1. After the College completes its annual strategic planning process in late spring, the Development Department staff begin to identify potential funding sources and specific grant opportunities that support identified goals and priorities. In June/July, Cabinet also notifies the Development Department staff of critical equipment needs that cannot be funded through the regular budget process.
2. In July the Development Department sets benchmarks for the fiscal year based on an average of the past five years. The Development Department's goal is to surpass its benchmarks each year, resulting in a consistent gradual increase in grant funding secured for the College.
3. In July the Development Department staff presents a proposed slate of grant projects to the President and Cabinet for approval. When externally funded project ideas/opportunities emerge after the July meeting, the Development Department staff will ensure that they have the approval of the appropriate Vice President and that the President and Cabinet are notified before adding any project to the approved Annual Grant Schedule. Additionally, some grants may be dropped from the schedule if the Development Department staff determines that the College is not ready to submit a highly competitive proposal, the grant is not well timed for TTC, or the proposal would not serve the College’s interests.
4. As each proposal/application is developed, the assigned Development Department staff member submits a Project Notification Form electronically to Cabinet for review. The purpose of this form is to notify Cabinet members of the proposals that are currently underway and to solicit feedback on project design or budget concerns.
5. All proposals to external funding agencies from TTC are required to be submitted through the Development Department. This policy insures that all proposals meet minimum standards of quality (content, format, spelling, completeness, etc.) and coincide with the approved grant schedule.
6. In July/August the Development Department staff submits an End-of-Year Report to Cabinet showing the results of the Development Department's work the previous fiscal year. The End-of-Year Report also illustrates how the current year compares to the previous five years.
PROPOSAL DEVELOPMENT PROCESS
Development Department staff members provide technical assistance during proposal development to include funding source research; interpretation of funding guidelines including allowable activities and costs; completion of appropriate agency forms; writing of concept papers and letters of intent; and proposal writing as needed. Final proposal development is a joint effort by the Development Department staff, the proposal originator and other appropriate faculty, staff and community members. The Development Department staff coordinates final proposal preparation, including review by appropriate Vice President(s)/Dean(s), Department Head(s), obtaining authorized signatures, final production and submission.
COLLABORATION WITH OTHER INSTITUTIONS
Faculty and staff participating in externally funded programs where TTC is not the lead institution must coordinate their component of the project with TTC's Development Department staff.
Deadlines of most funding sources are absolute and late proposals are not considered. The assigned Development Department staff member sets an internal deadline which allows adequate time for processing and coordination with the President. It is the responsibility of the proposal originator to assist the Development Department staff in establishing and adhering to internal deadlines.
All submitted proposals are kept on file in the Development Department in accordance with the College’s record retention procedure and applicable federal guidelines.