Academic Programs > Humanities and Social Sciences > Department of English and Journalism > Journalism
Journalism

Mid-1800 article on Old Newspapers
 

Online Journalism

Journalism 101 has been online at TTC since 1999. According to the catalog, the journalism course "is a study of basic rhetorical and ethical principles of journalistic writing for news media, including newspapers, journals, radio and television."

However, the course actually includes some interesting surprises:

  • a visual "photo album" of the history of communications and journalism since about 36,000 years ago
  • a different section on photojournalism that includes the history of photography and some world-changing photographs
  • an Extra! page that supplements and expands on what is found in the textbook
  • the study and application of the journalist's style rules found in the AP Stylebook Appendix in the textbook
  • online website exercises for every chapter of the textbook

The course is 100 percent online, so you can complete all of the course from any computer anywhere in the world.

Textbook and Extras

Currently, we are using the following textbook: Itule, Bruce D. and Anderson, Douglas A. News Writing and Reporting for Today's Media 7th ed. Boston: McGraw-Hill, 2007.

Watching the 1976 movie All the President's Men is required as part of the course. You will either have to rent the movie from a video store or online source, borrow it from a library, watch it at Trident's Main Camps Library, or buy a copy.

Prerequisites

Since journalism is an advanced writing class, students need to come into the class with good, standard-level grammar skills and an overall familiarity with newspapers in general. Minimum requirements are the successful completion of ENG 100 with a C or better; however, students should keep in mind that they will be learning a whole new style of writing, so they should already be good writers.

Course Objectives

Upon completion of the course, students should

  • Understand the development of written communications from prehistory to the present.
  • Write news, features, and other articles in traditional journalistic styles.
  • Understand the complexities of freedom of the press, journalistic ethics, interpretive and investigative reporting, and current trends.
  • Use good grammar and mechanics skills through proofreading and editing according to AP style rules. 

Deadlines

Journalism depends on deadlines. If a journalist does not meet a deadline, the newspaper goes to press without the story. This class follows a strict deadline policy. Tests will be available during a three-day period, and all students must take the tests sometime during that timeframe. Daily assignments in the form of mail messages or bulletin board posts are due on or before the final due date shown on the calendar. Students should contact the instructor to arrange to take a test early if necessary. Late testing will not be allowed.

Evaluation

The course includes five tests worth a total of 85 percent of the final grade. One-point daily assignments make up the remaining 15 percent of the grade. A total of five points will be available as extra credit.

First Term Online Students

Students new to online courses should complete the Online Readiness Test and tune up their Internet computer browser. Click here to access the test. You must have a computer in good working condition and a dependable provider before enrolling in an online course. Computer or provider problems are not acceptable excuses for failing a test. Problems occurring during an online test are almost always caused by a browser issue, especially for MAC computer users. Submit a D2L Help Request for assistance.

Contact Information

Phone 843-574-6434 if you have additional questions about the journalism course.

 

 

 

Trident Technical College, Copyright 2011